Phone number. (576) 8743033
Flavio Augusto Prieto Ortiz
Prof. Prieto received a degree in electronic engineering in 1991 from Francisco José de Caldas Distrital University, a degree in physics in 1992 from the National University of Colombia, and his M.Sc. in electrical engineering in 1995 from Andes University, all in Bogotá, Colombia. He received his Ph.D. in 2000 in industrial automation from the Institut National des Sciences Appliquées at Lyon, France and from the École deTechnologie Supérieure, Université du Québec, Montréal, Canada. His Ph.D. dissertation was developed in cooperation between the two universities. He joined the National University of Colombia at Manizales in February 2000 as a professor. Since his PhD studies and as a professor, his research activities have been focused on computer vision, image processing, automated inspection systems, and pattern recognition. He has been working on various research projects, some of them international, with research groups from Canada, France and Mexico. As a result of his research work he has produced more than fifty scientific papers in conferences and journals and he has supervised thirteen graduate students (Master and PhD). He has been participating as a committee member in many national and international conferences. He also has been a reviewer for many national and international academic journals.
- Computer vision systems (2D and 3D)
- Automated inspection systems
- Philosophy of technology
- Digital image processing
- Pattern recognition
- Electronic design
- J.C. Riaño-Rojas, E. Restrepo-Parra, F.A. Prieto-Ortiz, J.J. Olaya-Florez. On the application of digital image processing to surfaces of different nitride coatings. In Superlattices and Microstructures. (2007). IN PRESS.
- Juan B. Gómez, Jorge E. Hernández, Flavio Prieto and Tanneguy Redarce. RealTime Robot Manipulation Using Mouth Gestures in Facial Video Sequences. In Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag Berlin, Heidelberger, Germany, Vol. 4729. BVAI 2007, Pages 224233, October 2007.
- Augusto Salazar, Jorge Hernández and Flavio Prieto. Automatic Quantitative Mouth Shape Analysis. In Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag Berlin, Heidelberger, Germany, Vol. 4673. CAIP 2007, Pages 416423, August 2007.
- John W. Branch, Flavio Prieto y Pierre Boulanger. Corrección Automática de Huecos en Objetos de Forma Libre Empleando Funciones de Base Radial. Revista Avances en Sistemas e Informática, Vol. 4 No. 2, septiembre de 2007, Universidad Nacional de Colombia Sede Medellín, Medellín, Colombia, Páginas 43-51.
- John Willian Branch, Flavio Prieto y Pierre Boulanger. Método de llenado de huecos en mallas triangulares empleando funciones de base radial. En DYNA, Revista de la Facultad de Minas, Universidad Nacional de Colombia Sede Medellín, Medellín, Colombia. Vol. 74, No. 152, Páginas 97-111. Julio de 2007.
- E. Cuartas y F. Prieto. Análisis de continuidad entre funciones NURBS. Revista Avances en Sistemas e Informática, Vol. 3 No. 2, diciembre de 2006, Universidad Nacional de Colombia Sede Medellín, Medellín, Colombia, Páginas 19-23.
- Branch, J.W., Prieto, F., Boulanger, P. Fitting Surface of Free Form Objects using Optimized Nurbs Patches Network With Evolutionary Strategies (M+A) Es. In Proceedings of the 18th British Machine Vision Conference (BMVC 2007), Warwick, UK, September 10-13, 2007.
- John William Branch, Flavio Prieto and Pierre Boulanger. Reconstruction of Free Form Objects From a Net of NURBS Patches Using Morse Theory. In Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on 3-D Digital Imaging and Modeling (3DIM2007), Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Pages 21-28, August 21-23, 2007. IEEE Computer Society.
- Juan Bernardo Gómez, Flavio Prieto and Tanneguy Redarce. Lips Movement Segmentation and Features Extraction in Real Time. In Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Industrial Electronics, Technology & Automation (IETA 06), University of Bridgeport, USA, Páginas 205-210, December 4-14, 2006.
Code: 4040004 - Section: Under-graduate level
Code: 4040144 - Section: Post-graduate level
Code: 4040131 - Section: Post-graduate level
Code: 4040132 - Section: Post-graduate level
- Colombian association for the Advance of Science.
- Research Distinction (Investigación Meritoria). Granted by the Engineering Faculty. Universidad Nacional de Colombia at Manizales. August 2006.
- Prize of Excellence to the Best PhD Thesis. Granted by the Ecole de Technologie Supérieure, Université du Québec, Montréal, Canada. December 2001.
- Honorable Mention of the Doctoral Thesis: Très Honorable avec Félicitations. Granted by the INSA de Lyon, France. December 1999.